Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Nikko Toshogu Shrine Lower Level

A latent puzzle solved.

I knew my Torii Gate necklace was special. I wear it all the time, as you have probably observed,
and really wanted to know more about it. Well...

Today, its meaning and location were revealed to me by a Japanese woman on a trip to an uninhibited island (read NO commercial establishments) in a national park, Franklinder Island.

I had learned several years ago in a Japanese shop in Carmel that it had been crafted by an artist from south of Tokyo.

Bruce bought it for me in an antique emporium in Melbourne almost many years go - now.

Today I learned that it symbolizes "House of God." ( I think my heart has felt that for a long time.)
It is from Shinto-ism. (I heard that as speculation a while ago also.)

Now, the really cool part: this gate is located at the entrance to a very large, elaborate and famous shrine in Nikko (refer to link below) about 2 hours from Tokyo and is also where the see-no-evil, etc. monkeys can be found.

The background is now complete!

http://www.digital-images.net/Gallery/Scenic/Japan/Shrines/Nikko-1/nikko-1.html#Entrance


Laura/LJ

Rambles from the Road

No comments: