Saturday, May 26, 2012

Steps in Our Journey

Special angel, special rose.

An important step in my on-going journey was recently taken when I was assigned a mentee (Wendy) in the Mentor Program at Eastside College Prep in Palo Alto. Why so important?

Bruce began contributing to the school at the beginning when it boasted two trailers that provided school rooms for incredibly smart and very under-privileged kids. When he was diagnosed with multiple myeloma he accelerated his gift-giving and participated in the dedication of the Cann Quad.

The school graduated 60 students this week, has an amazingly challenging curriculum, and a complement of dorms! Every student is headed to a four-year school!

This week I sat with Wendy (the angel!) Vargas' family for her graduation ceremony during which persons who had contributed in some way to a student's welfare were given a rose by the student.

A special moment for each of us (picture of her to come). Her hobby is designing computerized stuffe--a talking bear which provides nutritional advice to kids, a bicycle for the blind( needs serious refining) and an educational app, "What is this?" (Guess what spawned that idea?)

Wendy is very special new friend to me, talented and off to a wonderful chapter in her life. We will be filling the Highlander in August and head to UCSF Merced when she steps into a major, important chapter of her life.

I am blessed share it with her.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so happy to have a mentor like you. Not only can I just say you are my mentor.
Hope to see you soon
your Button,
Wendy Vargas